President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 into law on February 17, 2009. Unprecedented in its effort, the ARRA created innovative programs that would stimulate the economy by modernizing infrastructure, enhancing energy independence, expanding educational opportunities, preserving and improving affordable health care, providing tax relief, and protecting those in greatest need. Included in ARRA is over $13 billion in programs administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). HUD distributed the majority of these funds (75%) to eligible grantees through formula grants and the remaining 25% was allotted for competitive grant programs.
As an entitlement grantee of HUD, Harris County Community Services Department (HCCSD) was eligible to receive formula grants from HUD programs that promote stable communities and provide assistance for families affected by the economic crisis. To be eligible for these funds, HCCSD submitted Amendments to its 2008-2012 Consolidated Plan and Program Year 2008 Annual Action Plan. Below is a list of programs that HCCSD is participating in as a result of ARRA: HCCSD's participation in any competitive funding for these programs is detailed in the program specific webpage.
- Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing Program: This program provides financial assistance and stabilization services to the homeless and low-income individuals at-risk of homelessness.
- Community Development Block Grants: An extension of Harris County entitlement funding, this program provided funding for shovel ready infrastructure projects in low-income areas of Harris County.
For a complete listing of projects for all Harris County Departments funded through ARRA, please visit Harris County's ARRA page.