How Can we Help?
To learn more about how we may be able to assist you, we invite to click (here) to complete a request for assistance if you have an emergency need related to utility disconnection or rental vacate notice/past-due mortgage. Once you have successfully completed the survey, one of our support specialists will contact you within the next three business days.
Emergency Utility Assistance
For many, you have a job. You work hard. But unforeseen circumstances can make it hard to make all ends meet. That is where the Harris County Community Services Department may be able to help.
Assistance is subject to available funding. In the case of utility assistance, CSD partners with area utility providers who are able to make a limited amount of funds available to help people in need.
If you qualify and if funding is available, we are happy to assist.How to Qualify?
The following items are requirements to determine eligibility to receive emergency utility assistance:
- Must have a Utility Bill (must be dated within the past 30 days)
- Bill must be in the applicant's name. The applicant must reside in the household seeking assistance.
- Must have current picture identification and social security card (your ID must be current). You must have some form of government-issued identification to verify you are the person whom you state you are. Copies of identification will NOT be accepted.
- Citizenship status. You must be a US citizen or properly documented immigrant. If you were not born in the United States but your minor children (who live with you) were born in the United States, you must provide their original birth certificate.
- Must provide house deed or lease agreement or housing contract
- Must provide proof of current or most recent income and/or proof of past management of bills/rent. Verification of ALL income must be provided for ALL household members who are receiving income. Income documentation must be verifiable. Income documentation may include, but not limited to, Social Security Disability award letters, TANF award letters, Food Stamp award letters, Veterans Administration award letters, printouts from Texas Attorney General (child support), paycheck stubs, a letter from employer, and letters from friends/family. If there is no income from a particular household member (who is 18 years or older), a certification of income form must be completed.
- Must provide bank transaction history reports and receipts (for the last 30 days from the date of appointment).
- Must provide verification of other assistance. If you are currently receiving assistance from another agency/or organization, please provide proof of ALL pledges and assistance.
For additional information regarding emergency utility assistance and eligibility, please contact the Social Services department at (713) 696-7900.
Items that may make you ineligible
- Unable to pay the following month's rent
- Zero income currently or in the foreseeable future
Requests are reviewed on a first come first serve basis.
The following income guidelines will be used to determine eligibility:
Maximum Income for eligibility
Source: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development June 28, 2019 (Conforms to HOME Rents).