Multi-family Rental Housing and Tax-credit Application Review and
Resolution Policy and Criteria
One of the goals of the Harris County Consolidated Plan and Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing, approved by Harris County Commissioners Court on January 8, 2019 and submitted to U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development, is the promotion and preservation of quality affordable housing in the county. The county seeks to meet this goal by building and improving Multi-family rental housing units and supporting quality projects as they apply for Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) housing financing programs. Harris County will pursue a balanced approach in investing and supporting multi-family rental projects in both High Opportunity areas as well as in revitalization areas that may be located near buyout interest areas or areas of severe disaster impact as a means of improving and preserving community stability.
TDHCA provides guidance through their Qualified Allocation Plan (QAP) on the number of points for support or non-opposition for a multi-family rental project from a local jurisdiction, where the project is located. For more information on the QAP, please see website at www.tdhca.state.tx.us/multifamily/nofas-rules.htm. The following are the requirements developed by Harris County Community Services Department (CSD) and approved by Harris County Commissioners Court on June 25, 2019 for the recommendation by CSD of projects for Court resolution of support or non-opposition.
Steps to Request a Resolution for 4% or 9% Tax Credits
- Photograph of a Notification Sign (at least 3' X 5' and within 15 feet of the primary street)
- Fulfill all requirements in the Harris County Affordable Rental Resolution Policy and Criteria and the Harris County Affordable Multiunit Family and Senior Housing Concentration Policy and submit a completed packet that complies with the requirements of CSD.
- Provide a completed resolution template found at Support or No Objection Templates. "Please forward a completed packet to Jordan Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, please contact Jordan Smith at email@example.com or 832-927-4792."
Timeline for Resolution Request for 9% Tax Credits
(Harris County accepts 4% tax credit resolution request throughout the year)
- February 8, 2021 - Deadline to submit completed packets to CSD (early submissions will be accepted).
- February 23, 2021 - CSD will submit approved resolutions to Commissioners Court on this date.
- February 26, 2021 - Resolutions will be available for pick-up at the CSD office or a scanned copy can be emailed to you or directly to TDHCA.
Failure to provide a completed packet will cause your application to be ineligible for placement on the Commissioners Court agenda and no resolution will be granted.
Please note that this recommendation by CSD does not constitute an approval from the county. All resolutions are subject to approval by the Harris County Commissioners Court.
In addition, if you are in an ETJ of another city, you must contact that city and request a resolution from their City Council as well as comply with this policy to request a county resolution.
Concerted Revitalization Area (CRA) Map
NOTE: Harris County does not maintain a list of Neighborhood Organizations. However, a list may be found on the following websites: