Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO) Program
Community Housing Development Organizations (CHDOs) are private non-profit community-based service organizations (developers) who complete new projects using funding from the federally-funded HOME program. In comparison to other developers, CHDOs are community-based and design affordable housing with the interests of pre-determined renters and homeowners in mind. At least 15% of Harris County's HOME allocation is set aside for housing owned, developed or sponsored by CHDOs. Please see below for a list of organizations that received certification through Harris County Community Services Department.
To be eligible to be certified or recertified as a CHDO, 501(c) organizations must:
- Be organized under state and local law;
- Have their purpose as providing decent and affordable housing to low/mod income persons;
- Provide no individual benefit;
- Have a clearly defined service area;
- Have an IRS non-profit status: 501(c)3 or 501(c)4;
- Have at least ONE YEAR of experience serving the community;
- Have paid employee staff with documented housing development experience to meet the capacity and experience requirements.
- Have financial accountability standards;
- Have 1/3 of their board members be residents of the low-income community or be low-income persons; and
- Have no more than 1/3 of their board members be from the public sector.
If you are interested or seeking to become a CHDO, please begin with a CHDO training course run by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
CHDO Training Course HOME CHDO Resources
CHDO Guidelines CHDO Certification Checklist
It is important to note that Harris County Community Services Department (HCCSD) will only issue CHDO certifications or re-certifications for CHDOs that have active/open projects with HCCSD or have submitted an application for a project that is selected for an award of HOME funding.
Harris County Certification of CHDO’s for 2024:
Tejano Center for Community Concerns, Inc.
Woodland Christian Towers, Inc.