Are You A Victim of Housing Discrimination

The federal Fair Housing Act prohibits housing discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, and familial status (i.e., presence of children in the household). The Fair Housing Act does not specifically include sexual orientation and gender identity as prohibited bases. However, a lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) person’s experience with sexual orientation or gender identity housing discrimination may still be covered by the Fair Housing Act. In addition, housing providers that receive HUD funding, have loans insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), as well as lenders insured by FHA, may be subject to HUD program regulations intended to ensure equal access of LGBT persons.

File A Discrimination Complaint (Texas)

888-560-8913 or 817-978-5900

File Your Complaint Online:
U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development

Email or contact HUD at (800) 669-9777 and for the hearing impaired, please call TTY (800) 927-9275.

If you feel you have experienced discrimination in the purchase or rental of your home, report it to these agencies.

Attorney General of Texas
(800) 252-8011

City of Houston, Dept. of Housing & Community Development
(832) 394-6200

Greater Houston Fair Housing Center
(713) 641-3247

Houston Apartment Association
(281) 933-2224

Houston Center for Independent Living
(713) 974-4621

HUD – Consumer Information

HUD Fair Housing and Equal Housing Opportunity
Houston Office

State Bar of Texas
(800) 204-2222 x2610

Know Yours Rights as a Tenant
(713) 982-1985

Texas Workforce – Civil Rights Division
(888) 452-4778

Public Housing

Public housing is a program for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities.

In a public housing apartment, you still have to pay rent, but the less money you make, the lower the rent will be.

Because public housing is truly affordable housing, and because there is a short supply, it sometimes takes a very long time for there to be a vacancy. Once you start living in public housing, you can stay unless:

  • you don’t pay the rent;
  • you break the rules; or
  • you start making enough money that you can afford to live in the private market.

For Public Housing, call the participating housing agencies listed below:

Baytown Housing Authority: 281-427-6686
Houston Housing Authority: 713-260-0701

To search for a public housing apartment, click Public Housing.