Main Line: 832-927-4700
Housing and Community Development
This office is focused on addressing the housing, infrastructure and public service needs of the low to moderate-income community in Harris County. This is accomplished through a process of securing and managing grants from the U.S. Office of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and partnerships with other government and non-profit agencies, resulting in a variety of programs, projects, and services.
- Affordable Housing Construction Projects
- Down Payment Assistance
- Home Repair
Disaster Recovery and Response
Public Facilities and Improvements
- Parks and Community Centers
- Replacing aging groundwater systems with surface water
- After School Programs
- Meals for Elderly and Disabled
- Health Care and Senior Activities
- Homeless Services
This office was established in 2008 to increase mobility to residents, whether they are living outside of the Metro service area, are elderly or disabled.
- Fixed Route, Paratransit and Park and Ride Bus Service Outside of Metro Service Area
- Harris County Rides Program – Discounted Transportation for Seniors and Those Physically Impaired
- Harris County Medical Transportation – Non-emergency Health-Related Appointments for Low- to-Moderate Income Seniors and Those Physically Impaired
- Harris County Paratransit Service is a shared ride service for those living within ¾ of a mile from a fixed route bus service who have disabilities. Paratransit will get you to your fixed route.
Harris County Residents experiencing financial and personal challenges are assessed daily by case managers to determine if they qualify for a specific case management program.
Thanks to a grant from the Texas Veterans Commission, veterans or qualified family members may receive emergency rent and utility payment assistance. Anyone wishing to make an appointment with a case manager may call (713) 696-6900. Due to a high volume of calls, please be prepared for an extended hold time.
Bereavement Services provides a simple but dignified funeral home service for indigent individuals within Harris County. Cases are commonly referred through the Institute of Forensic Sciences, a local hospital or funeral home. Burial is provided at the Harris County Cemetery, at 21122 Crosby Eastgate Road. For more information, call (713) 696-1952.