How Can we Help?
To learn more about how we may be able to assist you, we invite you to CLICK HERE if you have an emergency financial need related to utility disconnection or rental vacate notice/past-due mortgage.
Harris County residents work hard; but, from time to time, unforeseen circumstances may make it difficult to take care of the bare necessities.
Harris County Community Services Department is constantly working with local, federal, state, and other agencies to identify funds for those who may have a one-time issue making rental or mortgage payments.
Funding can be scarce; however, we invite you to apply in the event we may be able to help.
How to Qualify?
The following items are requirements to determine eligibility to receive rental assistance:
- Must have a valid state or federal identification and social security card
- May need U.S. citizenship or resident status (or children are citizens & parents are listed on the birth certificate) [Some programs do not require citizenship]
- Must be below 80% average median income for Harris County
- Must have proof of income: 30 days of paycheck stubs, workmen's compensation letter, all award letters (ex. SSI/SSDI, TANF, food stamps, pension vet benefits, child)
- Must reside within Harris County
- Applicant must be head of household
- Must provide a valid lease or mortgage statement
- Must demonstrate proof of need such as vacate notice with the client's name on it, a documented hardship, or proof of exhausting income
- Landlord or Mortgage Company must be willing to work with Harris County & guarantee residency for the next 30 days
- Must have a W9 from your landlord, apartment manager, or mortgage company
For additional information regarding rental assistance and eligibility, please contact the Social Services department at (713) 696-7900.
Requests are reviewed on a first come first serve basis.
The following income guidelines will be used to determine eligibility:
Maximum Income for eligibility
Source: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development July 1, 2021 (Conforms to HOME Rents).