How Can we Help?
To learn more about how we may be able to assist you, we invite to click (here) to complete a request for assistance if you have an emergency need related to utility disconnection or rental vacate notice/past-due mortgage. Once you have successfully completed the survey, one of our support specialists will contact you within the next three business days.
Harris County residents work hard; but, from time-to-time, unforeseen circumstances may make it difficult to take care of the bare necessities.
Harris County Community Services Department is constantly working with local, federal, state and other agencies to identify funds for those who may have a one-time issue making rental or mortgage payments.
Funding can be scarce; however, we invite you to apply in the event we may be able to help.
How to Qualify?
The following items are requirements to determine eligibility to receive rental assistance:
- Must have a valid state or federal identification and social security card
- Must have legal U.S. citizenship or resident status (or kids are citizens & parents are on the birth certificate)
- Must be below 80% average median income for Harris County
- Must have proof of income: 30 days of paycheck stubs, workmen's compensation letter, all award letters (ex. SSI/SSDI, TANF, food stamps, pension vet benefits, child)
- Must reside within Harris County
- Applicant must be head of household
- You must provide a valid Lease or mortgage statement
- You must demonstrate proof of need such as vacate notice with the client's name on it, a documented hardship or proof of exhausting income
- Your Landlord or Mortgage Company must be willing to work with Harris County & guarantee residency for the next 30 days
- You must have a W9 from your landlord, apartment manager or mortgage company
For additional information regarding rental assistance and eligibility, please contact the Social Services department at (713) 696-7900.
Items that may make you ineligible
- Unable to pay the following month's rent
- Zero income currently or in the foreseeable future
Requests are reviewed on a first come first serve basis.
The following income guidelines will be used to determine eligibility:
Maximum Income for eligibility
Source: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development June 28, 2019 (Conforms to HOME Rents).